Chirewa and Cotter fire Town youngsters to victory
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
A very young Ipswich Town U23 side beat Cardiff City 2-1 at Playford Road this afternoon.
Irish defender Barry Cotter levelled for the Blues in the eighth minute with a powerful strike from just inside the area, after Cardiff took an early lead.
Then promising young midfielder Tawanda Chirewa put the Blues ahead to stay just two minutes after the break, latching onto a ball in behind the Cardiff defence and firing into the top corner.
Chirewa, 16, became the second-youngest player in Town’s history - behind only Connor Wickham – when he came on as a late substitute in the Blues’ 1-0 EFL Trophy defeat by Colchester United last November.
The Blues also went close through Alfie Cutbush, but held on to take three points.
You may also want to watch:
Town starting XI: O’Reilly, Humphreys, Healy, Stewart, Armin, Cotter, Cutbush, Trialist, Chirewa, Osbourne.
Subs: Ridd, Wyss, Alexander, Kabongolo, Bareck.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Over 4,000 people test positive for Covid with cases continuing to rise
- 10 'The lads make it easy... I don't fear those decisions' - Cook on his selection headaches