Ipswich Town on transfer deadline day: What’s likely to happen?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Transfer deadline day looms large once more, with several key questions left to answer at Ipswich Town.
Probably the biggest unresolved issue which needs to be cleared up before the deadline at 11pm tomorrow is the future of talismanic striker David McGoldrick.
The frontman is without doubt one of the most skilled and creative players in Mick McCarthy’s squad, but has been battling injuries and inconsistency, and will be out of contract this summer.
Thus, Town must decide - do they sell him now, while they could still command a fee, or risk losing him for nothing in the summer? McGoldrick himself has hinted at a move away in the summer, and he has been linked to a host of Championship sides this window – Cardiff are said to be leading the chase, with Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham also in the hunt.
Town are said to be willing to part with him for £500,000.
You may also want to watch:
One of the clubs also linked, Aston Villa, seem to be out of the running after boss Steve Bruce said he wouldn’t be interested in signing him.
More surprisingly, Star defender Adam Webster has also been linked with a £4m move to Bristol City, if they decide to sell in demand Aden Flint.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Appleton not shocked by Town's slow start but expects Cook's men to 'click' soon
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
If Webster does go, McCarthy would surely need to bring in a replacement, with Brighton’s Conor Goldson a previous target.
We could also see midfielder Kevin Bru depart on deadline day – he’s been available on a free all season, but got back in the team after a mix of injuries and good form in training.
In terms of incomings, it looks set to be a quiet day. McCarthy has already said that his business is done in terms of new signings, having inked striker Aaron Drinan, defenders Cameron Carter-Vickers and Chris Goteni and midfielder Stephen Gleeson in January.
- MORE: Town linked with wonderkid Brown
Yesterday, Town were linked with Grays Athletic attacking midfielder Kai Brown, the 16-year-old reportedly attracting the attention of a number of Premier League sides. If he signs though, he’s unlikely to go straight into the reckoning for the first team.
The Blues are also having a look at prolific non-league striker Ben Stephens, with him set for a trial this week.
Whatever happens, we’ll have all angles covered for you – we’ll be running a live blog throughout the day with Town writers Stuart Watson and Andrew Warren, plus videos, reaction and analysis as the moves happen at Town and around the Championship.