GALLERY: Christmas has begun in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
Bury St Edmunds is sparkling with festive lights as the Christmas season has begun.
Covid cancelled the lights switch-on event, but the illuminations were turned on in the town centre at intervals following the airing of a Christmas film promoting the town.
The film, a little girl’s story of a magical Christmas in Bury, was premiered at 7pm on the Our Bury St Edmunds Facebook page, showing what makes the town unique at this time of year and allowing those at home to look forward to shopping and celebrating when lockdown is lifted.
MORE: See this preview of Christmas TV ad-style film of Bury St EdmundsMark Cordell, chief executive of the Our Bury St Edmunds Business Improvement District (BID) group, said: “We are really delighted with the video and to think we only approached Allegro Creative Agency a month ago about the idea!
“It’s another quality product delivered by the BID, which showcases Bury as a quality visitor destination and will hopefully encourage people to come here to do their Christmas shopping.
“Some of the Christmas windows are fabulous this year again and contribute to making the town feel so festive. During such a challenging is great to see our businesses pulling out the stops to make the end of the year so positive for our town centre.”
MORE: ‘Lovely’ goodwill gestures from children placed on town’s Christmas treeToday also happens to be St Edmund’s Day, a day of celebration in honour of the town’s namesake.
Businesses in and around the town have been displaying bunting and flags of St Edmund and some takeaway food and drink businesses offered St Edmund-themed goodies as part of the festivities.
You may also want to watch:
St Edmundsbury Cathedral marked the day online including pilgrimage trails to download and walk during the day and a recipe for St Edmund’s buns.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 5 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 6 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 7 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 8 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 9 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 10 Suffolk 'can't afford' to repair or clear 700 damaged road signs