‘I think we have the best squad in the league’ – Downes buzzing after Shrewsbury win
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Flynn Downes declared Ipswich Town to have ‘the best squad in the league’ following Saturday’s 3-0 home win against Shrewsbury Town.
The 20-year-old midfielder finished off a superb team move with a brave diving header in the second half, strike duo Kayden Jackson and James Norwood having put the Blues in the box seat with early goals prior to Shaun Whalley's dismissal for the visitors.
That's three victories on the spin for Paul Lambert's men, who are now outright leaders at the top of the table following an unbeaten opening month in League One.
Downes is one of only four players to have started all six league games so far, Lambert having rotated most positions, but knows that - despite some impressive form - he cannot take his place for granted given Jon Nolan and Emyr Huws are returning to fitness.
"It's tough to cement a place because everyone in the squad is capable of playing out there and doing a good job," said the youngster.
You may also want to watch:
"The squad is unbelievable. No disrespect to League One but I think we have the best squad in the league.
"If you are pushing for promotion you need a big squad. We'll see how we go and try to keep the wins going."
- 1 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 10 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge
With a crowd of close to 20,000 once again in fine voice at Portman Road, Downes added: "The boys are buzzing off the atmosphere. The support we got last year when we were losing practically every game was unbelievable, but when you are winning and you can give the fans something to cheer about it's such a great feeling.
"We couldn't have asked for a better start. Top of the league, we're flying, the momentum is there, the team is playing well, all the boys are confident, what more could you want?"
On his goal, he said: "I didn't think I would score with my head, but I'll take it. I wish I could say I saw it go in but I didn't, my eyes were closed!
"We've been banging on that I've got to add goals to my game. I've been trying to get forward more.
"I think Skusey (Cole Skuse) allows me to do that. Where he sits I feel I have a bit more of a free role, so I love it. Hopefully there is more to come.
"There is still plenty for me to work on but I'm getting there."
The transfer window for all incoming deals closes at 5pm this afternoon.
IPSWICH TOWN FIRST TEAM SQUAD (32)
Holy, Norris; Vincent-Young, Donacien, Emmanuel; Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Wilson, Ndaba; Kenlock, Nydam, Clements; Skuse, Downes, Nolan, Huws, Bishop, Dozzell, El Mizouni; Judge, Edwards, Georgiou, Garbutt, Rowe, Lankester, Dobra; Norwood, Jackson, Keane, Sears, Roberts.