‘I think we have the best squad in the league’ – Downes buzzing after Shrewsbury win
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Flynn Downes declared Ipswich Town to have ‘the best squad in the league’ following Saturday’s 3-0 home win against Shrewsbury Town.
The 20-year-old midfielder finished off a superb team move with a brave diving header in the second half, strike duo Kayden Jackson and James Norwood having put the Blues in the box seat with early goals prior to Shaun Whalley's dismissal for the visitors.
That's three victories on the spin for Paul Lambert's men, who are now outright leaders at the top of the table following an unbeaten opening month in League One.
Downes is one of only four players to have started all six league games so far, Lambert having rotated most positions, but knows that - despite some impressive form - he cannot take his place for granted given Jon Nolan and Emyr Huws are returning to fitness.
"It's tough to cement a place because everyone in the squad is capable of playing out there and doing a good job," said the youngster.
"The squad is unbelievable. No disrespect to League One but I think we have the best squad in the league.
"If you are pushing for promotion you need a big squad. We'll see how we go and try to keep the wins going."
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 8 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
With a crowd of close to 20,000 once again in fine voice at Portman Road, Downes added: "The boys are buzzing off the atmosphere. The support we got last year when we were losing practically every game was unbelievable, but when you are winning and you can give the fans something to cheer about it's such a great feeling.
"We couldn't have asked for a better start. Top of the league, we're flying, the momentum is there, the team is playing well, all the boys are confident, what more could you want?"
On his goal, he said: "I didn't think I would score with my head, but I'll take it. I wish I could say I saw it go in but I didn't, my eyes were closed!
"We've been banging on that I've got to add goals to my game. I've been trying to get forward more.
"I think Skusey (Cole Skuse) allows me to do that. Where he sits I feel I have a bit more of a free role, so I love it. Hopefully there is more to come.
"There is still plenty for me to work on but I'm getting there."
The transfer window for all incoming deals closes at 5pm this afternoon.
IPSWICH TOWN FIRST TEAM SQUAD (32)
Holy, Norris; Vincent-Young, Donacien, Emmanuel; Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Wilson, Ndaba; Kenlock, Nydam, Clements; Skuse, Downes, Nolan, Huws, Bishop, Dozzell, El Mizouni; Judge, Edwards, Georgiou, Garbutt, Rowe, Lankester, Dobra; Norwood, Jackson, Keane, Sears, Roberts.