Former Town boss Keane ‘in talks’ to return to management at international level
- Credit: Archant
Former Ipswich Town boss Roy Keane is reportedly in talks to become the new manager of Azerbaijan.
The Irishman has been working in the media since leaving his role as Nottingham Forest assistant manager in 2019 but is said to be keen to return to management.
The Sun are reporting the former Manchester United midfielder is talking to Azerbaijan regarding their vacancy, with the 48-year-old said to be the country’s top choice as they look for a new boss.
MORE: ‘He’s probably the last person I wanted to see’ - Delaney recalls Keane’s hospital visit after freak injury at TownThe report says Keane has been offered an attractive financial package to take the role but will need to be convinced the position is the right one for him to return to management.
Azerbaijan are looking to make a mark on European football, having recently been promoted to Group C of the newly launched Nations League.
Since leaving Ipswich in 2011, Keane has worked as Paul Lambert’s assistant at Aston Villa and with Martin O’Neill at both the Republic of Ireland and Forest.
Currently, none of Ipswich’s former full-time managers are in work, with Paul Hurst the only one of owner Marcus Evans’ Town appointments to have worked as a manager again after leaving Portman Road.
He was sacked by Scunthorpe earlier this year, though, while Mick McCarthy has recently left his role with the Republic of Ireland.
Jim Magilton, the first manager to work under Evans, this week missed out on the Northern Ireland position to Ian Baraclough.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 4 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 5 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 10 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries